“Arte in Canto” International Singing Competition with orchestra – 1st Edition
City: Tchaikovsky str.7 – Lviv (Ukraine)
Sponsored by: Lviv Philarmonic Society
Date: from 24 to 31 August 2017
LVIV SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
KLKnewmusic and Lviv Philharmonic Society announce an International Singing Competition “Arte in Canto”, to reward and support the best emerging talents of international opera.
Contestants of all nationalities are accepted – males born after January 1st, 1972 and females born after January 1st, 1974.
*** The competition’s management keeps the right to make exemptions to this rule under special circumstances.
The candidates should send application form with personal data, a short biography and at least one youtube.com link with 2 opera arias, and copy of the entry fee.
All candidates selected must provide a repertory consisting of five operatic arias in at least two different languages.
These arias must include: one compulsory opera aria and four opera arias of the singer’s own choice (these may be taken from the list of compulsory arias as well).
There will be three rounds, the candidates will sing all the rounds from first to last with the Lviv Symphony Orchestra, and are not provided with preliminary tests on the piano.
ARIAS OPERA LIST
1. A. Mozart – Die Zauberflöte – Die Hölle Rache
2. Donizetti – Lucia di Lamermoor – Regnava nel silenzio
3. Donizetti – Don Pasquale – Quel guardo il cavaliere
4. V. Bellini – Norma – Casta Diva
5. A. Mozart – Die Zauberflöte – Ach, ich fühl’s
6. Verdi – La Traviata – E’ strano
7. Verdi – Rigoletto – Caro nome
8. Puccini – La Boheme – Si, mi chiamano Mimi
9. Puccini – Turandot – Tu che di gel sei cinta
10. Bizet – Carmen – Je dis que rien ne m’epouvante
11. Verdi – Aida – Ritorna vincitor
12. Puccini – Tosca – Vissi d’arte
1. Bizet – Carmen – Habanera
2. Bizet – Carmen – Seguidilla
3. Cilea – Adriana Lecouvreur – Acerba volutta
4. Donizetti – La Favorita – O mio Fernando
5. Verdi – Il Trovatore – Stride la vampa
6. Rossini – Il Barbiere di Siviglia – Una voce poco fa
7. Rossini – L’ Italiana in Algeri – Cruda sorte
8. A. Mozart – Clemenza di Tito – Parto
9. A. Mozart – Le Nozze di Figaro – Voi che sapete
10. Verdi – Nabucco – O dischiuso il firmamento
11. Verdi – Un ballo in maschera – Re dell’abbisso affrettati
1. Puccini – La Boheme – Che gelida manina
2. Puccini – Turandot – Nessun dorma
3. Puccini – Tosca – Recondida armonia
4. Puccini – Tosca – E lucevan le stelle
5. Verdi – Rigoletto – La donna è mobile
6. Verdi – Rigoletto – Questa o quella
7. Verdi – Luisa Miller – Quando le sere al placido
8. Verdi – Aida – Celeste Aida
9. A. Mozart – Don Giovanni – Dalla sua pace
10. A. Mozart – Cosi fan tutte – Un’aura amorosa
11. A. Mozart – Die Zauberflöte – Dies Bildnis ist bezaubernd schön
12. Donizetti – L’elisir d’amore – Una furtiva lagrima
13. Donizetti – Lucia di Lamermoor – Tombe degli avi miei
14. P. I. Ciaikovski – Eugheni Onegin – Kuda, kuda
15. Bizet – Carmen – La fleur que tu m’avais jetée
1. Bizet – Carmen – Votre toast, je peux vous le rendre
2. Donizetti – Don Pasquale – Bella siccome un angelo
3. Mozart – Die Zauberflöte – Ein Mädchen oder Weibchen
4. Mozart – Don Giovanni – Deh, vieni alla finestra
5. Mozart – Le nozze di Figaro – Non più andrai
6. Puccini – La Bohème – Vecchia zimarra senti
7. Rossini – Il Barbiere di Siviglia – Largo al Factotum
8. Verdi – Don Carlo – Oh Carlo ascolta/Io morrò
9. Verdi – Don Carlo – Per me giunto è il dì supremo
10. Verdi – Il Trovatore – Tutto è deserto/Il balen del suo sorriso
11. Verdi – Rigoletto – Cortigiani
12. Verdi: Un Ballo in Maschera: Alzati, là tuo figlio
1. Mozart – Die Zauberflöte – In diesen heil’gen Hallen
2. Mozart – Die Zauberflöte – Oh Isis und Osiris
3. Mozart – Don Giovanni – Madamina, il catalogo
4. Rossini – Il Barbiere di Siviglia – La calunnia
5. V. Bellini – Sonnambula – Vi ravviso, o luoghi ameni
6. Verdi – Don Carlo – Ella giammai m’amò
7. Verdi – Ernani – Infelice, e tuo credevi
8. Verdi – Nabucco – Oh, chi piange – Del futuro nel buoi
9. Verdi – Simon Boccanegra – Il lacerato spirito
Round I: August 24th (starting at 3:00 P.M.), and August 25th, and 26th (starting at 11:00 A.M), one aria of the contestant’s choice will be performed. Should the jury find the aria inconclusive, they have the right to request the performance of a second aria (the entire piece or only part of it), selected from the candidate’s contest repertory. For this purpose, candidates must provide all musical scores at this stage of the contest.
Round II, with Lviv Symphony Orchestra: August 27th and 28th (starting at 11:00 A.M). Two arias selected from the contestant’s repertory will be performed, one of the contestant’s choice and another chosen by the jury.
Round III, the final with Lviv Symphony Orchestra: August 30th (starting at 12:00 A.M). Two arias chosen by the jury will be performed;
Starting at 5:00 P.M., Rehearsals with Orchestra at the Lviv Concert Hall.
Awards Ceremony: August 31th, 7:00 P.M., Concert Hall, with the Lviv Symphony Orchestra.
The arias chosen are to be learnt by heart and performed in the original language. It is advisable that at all stages the candidates should provide the written score for all pieces in the repertory.
No transpositions are permitted; in this respect, the candidate shall provide, should it be requested by the jury, the score used. Traditional cuts are accepted. The program specified by the aria chosen by the candidate for the first round cannot be more than five minutes long. This aria is to be at the first of the list of the repertory in the application form.
Throughout the contest, the repertory chosen by the jury will be announced at the end of each round by the secretary of the contest, who will also receive the candidate’s choice (for the second round aria); schedules are made courtesy of the secretary of the contest; results of the first two rounds will be displayed once each round is finalized. candidate in the application form cannot be modified at a later time.
Organizers shall provide the pianist for all candidates who wish to study during tests in the competition.
Candidates shall cover their own travel costs, accommodation costs and other personal expenses throughout the contest.
The general public has access to all stages of the contest.
Contest management reserves the right to allow radio and television companies‘ partial or complete recording and broadcasting. By sending the application form, contestants consent to having their performances recorded and broadcast without remuneration.
The English version of the regulations is valid.
By completing and signing the application form, the candidate expresses his/her agreement to the present regulations.
The organizers may appoint one or more substitute members to the jury should one or more of the designated members be unable to attend a round of the competition.
Assessment will be done as follows:
• Round I – by open vote; candidates who obtain a majority of votes are admitted to the next round;
• Round II – by secret passed/failed vote; candidates who obtain a majority of votes are admitted to the next round;
• Round III (the final) – by secret vote, with marks on a scale from 1 to 10; prizes are awarded according to resulted ranking.
The jury will be composed of internationally renowned musicians, singers, conductors, manager opera houses. Jury President: Zoryana Kushpler.
Distinctions and special awards are given according to the decisions of the jury; the decisions of the jury may not be contested; any attempt to influence the jury shall lead to the contestant being disqualified. Finalists will receive participation certificates.
1 Prize: 2000 euro
2 Prize: 1000 euro
3 Prize: 700 euro
The jury reserves the right not to award all prizes or to award ex aequo prizes.
Application form: €40 (included tax Paypal) to be paid no later than 05 July by Paypal email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I Round (for singers selected after application form): €280 no later than 15 July by Paypal email email@example.com.
II Round (for singers selected after I Round): €230 no later than 27 August to pay in Lviv.
III Round – Final (for singers selected after II Round): free.
Applicants must submit no later than 15 July:
– application form;
– receipt of tuition fee of 40 euros via Paypal.
Please download Application Form